Skip to content
The Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS)
As a vital tool for contractors to demonstrate their health and safety compliance and pre-qualify for vital contracts. Here is our guide to overcoming the hurdles that stand in your way.
10 Hurdles to CHAS Assessment:
- Not having a current health and safety policy for your business, that is signed by an appropriate director and in date.
- Failing to have competent health and safety advice in place. Either as an competent employee employed within your business or an external service.
- Not being clear and upfront about any enforcement activity that’s been brought against you by any of the enforcing authorities such as the HSE or your local authority.
- Not being clear about your accident statistics, having evidence of investigating any accidents that have occurred and having recorded them correctly.
- Failing to have a number of risk assessments that are signed by the workforce and dated within the last 12 months.
- Not having correctly assessed and recorded any substances that fall under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations.
- Falling short of making sure your work equipment is regularly inspected, either pre-use or on a scheduled basis, to satisfy the Provision and Use of Work Equipment (PUWER) Regulations.
- Not ensuring your portable electrical equipment is tested for electrical safety by a competent person (PAT Testing).
- Not having correctly assessed manual handling within your business.
- Not having involved your workforce in your health and safety arrangement or having evidence of briefings, toolbox talks or training with them.
All of the above hurdles are really easy to overcome with our help by subscribing to cdmm’s health and safety system.